July 1, 2014: Solid Ground has made the difficult decision to discontinue the Penny Harvest Program at Solid Ground after the 2013/14 school year.
Since 1992, Penny Harvest has offered a powerful and meaningful experience to thousands of students and families at schools across King County. Since 2006, over 100,000 students (including 5,716 student leaders) have raised $400,000 and made grants to 331 unique organizations. Solid Ground and Penny Harvest’s parent organization, Common Cents, are working together to find a new regional sponsor where the program can continue its positive impact in our community.
This short video clip from MSNBC's 5/19/12 Melissa Harris-Perry
show features Penny Harvest's then 13-year-old Quinn Smart:
Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy
Philanthropy for Social Justice: This addendum to the Penny Harvest Curriculum for Penny Harvest Coaches and educators was created by Penny Harvest Seattle staff.
Penny Harvest in the News
- Power in pennies: A tribute to Penny Harvest, 6/30/14 by Nicole Iorio, Solid Ground Blog
- Saving the Environment, One Penny at a Time, 6/13/14 by Chrissy Pepino, Earthjustice Blog
- FamilyWorks and Penny Harvest, 8/8/13 by Quinn Smart, FamilyWorks Blog
- Pathfinder Penny Harvest Gift Awarded to SCOPE, 7/18/13, SCOPE Blog
- Adams Elementary students give $1,000 to local charities, 6/13/13 by Meghan Walker, My Ballard blog
- West Seattle schools: Decision time for Gatewood philanthropists,
5/1/13, West Seattle Blog...
- Service Learning for Pennies a Day, December 2012, Committee for Children E-news
- See a Penny… pick it up. All day long you’ll have good luck. 6/28/12, PAWS blog
- Adams Elementary donates hundreds to charities through ‘Penny Harvest’, 5/29/12 by Meghan Walker, My Ballard
- Penny Harvest: A Way to Cultivate a Generation of Youth Philanthropists, 2/5/12 by Elizabeth Ralston, The Inspired Philanthropist blog
- Nurturing a philanthropic community, 12/2/11 by Mike Buchman, Solid Ground Blog
- Penny Harvest Students Care About Animals, 6/25/11, PAWS Blog
- Queen Anne students donate $1,000 to YWCA, 6/20/11, Queen Anne View, Daily news blog
- At Large in Ballard: Quinn Smart, Philanthropist, 5/18/11 by Peggy Sturdivant, Ballard News Tribune
- West Seattle for Japan: Pathfinder’s ‘Penny Harvest’ donation, 4/11/11, West Seattle Blog...
- Penny Harvest teaches children the power of philanthropy, 4/6/11 by Patrick Robinson, West Seattle Herald
- Kids Count! With Penny Harvest, students raise money to help their communities., Dec.'10-Jan. '11 by Laura Dwight, Jacob Langston, Orlando Sentinel & Stephen Blue, Time for Kids
- A kindness not soon forgotten,11/22/10 by Nicole Brodeur, Seattle Times
- Adams School Penny Harvest, 7/28/10, Kids to Kids International Website
- Pennies for PAWS – Penny Harvest Schools Choose Animals, 7/22/10 by Tiffany, Humane Education Coordinator, PAWS Blog
- Harvest of pennies yields food for hungry people, 6/24/10, FISH Food Bank Blog
- Green Gables Elementary's Penny Harvest benefits Friends of the Hylebos and Soldiers' Angels, 6/18/10 by Andy Hobbs, Federal Way Mirror
- Pennies add up for Lawton students, 6/2/10, Magnolia Voice Blog
- Every Penny Counts: Hylebos awarded a Penny Harvest Grant, 5/25/10, Ballard News Tribune
- Fatima students raise funds, 5/20/10, Magnolia Voice Blog
- Penny Harvest Youth Philanthropy Summit, 4/23/10 by Esther Altshul Helfgott, Seattle PI Reader Blogs
- At Large in Ballard: Penny for your thoughts, 10/31/09 by Peggy Sturdivant, Ballard News Tribune
- Grade-schoolers use penny donations to help homeless man, 6/2/09 by Linda Shaw, Seattle Times
- Penny Harvest a success at Adams Elementary, 5/27/09, My Ballard (daily news blog for Seattle's Ballard neighborhood)
- The world is in safe hands: 5/7/09, The WaterLog (Water 1st International's blog)
Check out our Penny Harvest video!
This Penny Harvest video was made by a local school,
And one more: Adams Elementary School Kicks off
Penny Harvest 09/10.
206.694.6700 (TTY: 7.1.1)
1501 North 45th Street
Seattle, WA 98103-6708